Technology has immortality, cures for the worlds devastating diseases, quantum computing and a host of other science fiction notions in its grasp. Current trends in a number of areas indicate that over the next 10 years many of these technologies will come to fruition. "The Next 10 Years" tracks the trends that will transform our everyday lives in almost unimaginable ways.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Why Bill Gates Wants 3,000 New Patents - New York Times: "'EXCITING,' 'uninteresting' and 'not exciting' don't seem like technical terms. But they show up a lot in United States patent application No. 20,050,160,457, titled 'Annotating Programs for Automatic Summary Generation.' It seems to be about baseball. The inventors have apparently come up with software that can detect the portions of a baseball broadcast that contain what they call 'excited speech,' as well as hits (what I call 'excited ball') and automatically compile those portions into a highlights reel."

The Next 10 Years is not all "happy, happy, joy, joy" - there is a dark underbelly and patents that stifle innovation are a primary concern. While I don't view Microsoft as the Borg incarnate - a flood of trivial patents (adding and removing white space from documents) do amount to a company seeking hegemony.

Freedom to innovate is the what propels us to a better future - let's work to keep the innovative freedom alive.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

stem cell enhancer was the subject I was researching when I came across your site, MadDog. General interest and popularity of the subject Why Bill Gates Wants 3,000 New Patents - New York Times has lead me to your site as well as to stem cell enhancer. Yours is a fine site providing a real service and exceptional content. Thanks for reading my comment

9:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My visit to your site, MadDog, was the results of the adult stem cells search for information regarding the subject Why Bill Gates Wants 3,000 New Patents - New York Times. Even though some of the articles on the site may not support the adult stem cells project, I must say, it’s an informational and very interesting site and its content will benefit many. Thank you for reading my comment.

11:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a great site you have here, MadDog. I found is from my search for Klamath Lake blue green algae. In my opinion., is a cut above the others. Even though my research regarding Why Bill Gates Wants 3,000 New Patents - New York Times lead me here but match is not exact for Why Bill Gates Wants 3,000 New Patents - New York Times, the content is very beneficial and rewarding. Thank you for reading my comment here.

5:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home